Rope's End publishes paperbacks and e-books, and occasionally, audio books. Here are the topics we're interested in publishing.
We will begin accepting submissions for fiction on January 1, 2018.
Mystery and Suspense: We want a good read with strong plotting, interesting characters, and a compelling story set in an interesting place. We want to learn something as well as enjoy the unfolding of a mystery. Mysteries set in the American West and Southwest are especially welcomed as are series with the same protagonist(s) . Yes on submissions of cozies, soft boiled, amateur sleuths, professional investigators including private eyes, police procedurals, and historical mysteries No on stories about sadistic, psychopathic killers with a lot of detail about their pathology.
Romantic Suspense: We look for the same thing that we seek in a good mystery novel: interesting characters, strong plotting, and a compelling story set in an interesting place. We would be especially in the the unfolding of a romance and mystery set in an exotic location. What is “exotic?” It depends on how you perceive and describe the place. Take us to somewhere we haven’t been and make that place come alive. Keep mind, we’re interested in romantic suspense, not suspenseful romance.
Non-Fiction: (currently not accepting nonfiction submissions)
Art and the Environment: Artists of all fields - poets, visual artists, short-story writers and essayists, musicians and more - express a deep caring
and concern for the natural world in these books
China: We seek books on Chinese history, culture, travel, and cuisine.
Mexican-American/Chicano studies: We're looking for books on Chicano culture , 20th- and 21st-century historical events, biography, and more.
How to Submit
1. Write a query email and send it to email@example.com. Keep the query under 1,000 words (approximately 2 page single spaced). Include your contact information: name, address, email address, phone number. Have you previously published a book or other writings? We do not review ideas for books. We're interested in completed manuscripts.
Nonfiction: Describe your book in detail. A table of contents is useful. Does it have illustrations? a bibliography? an index? How many words in your manuscript? Include a short bio telling us how you came to write this book and your knowledge about the subject. How are you qualified to write this book? Are you interested in seeing your book become an e-book as well as a paperback?
Fiction: Describe your book. Mystery or suspense? Romantic suspense? Setting? characters? overview of the plot? How is your book different and better than the average mystery or romantic suspense novel?
Marketing: If we decide to publish your book, Rope’s End Publishing will aggressively promote it, but we need your help. What are your plans to promote the book? Do you have a website? Do you blog? Do you belong to book groups and go to conferences?
2. Rope's End will respond to your query within 8 weeks, and either decline or request more information. If we request more information, we will want at least 50 pages of your manuscript printed out in hard copy and mailed to us.
3. If we decide to publish, we'll discuss full options with you at that point including signing a contract with us.
What We Do for Authors:
1. Proofread and copy edit your manuscript.
2. Purchase or lease an image for the cover of your book - unless you have a great image you want us to consider.
3. Design and format the internal pages for print and e-book versions.
4. Design and format a cover (front, spine, and back) for the book.
5. Arrange for pre-publication reviews.
6. Record and track publication runs, sales, and royalties, and report to authors.
7. Fulfill book orders made from our website.
8. Promote/market your book in print and on the web.
Authors are not charged for these services. We are taking a risk and making a financial investment in you. In return, you will help us promote the book, and share a percentage of the sales royalties with us.